Syllabus for preliminary Test PART-1 (Gujarati Medium)
1. Geography of India-Physical, Economic, Social, Natural Resources and population related topics- with special reference to Gujarat
2. Cultural heritage of India-Literature, Art, Religion and Architecture- with special reference to Gujarat
3. History of India with special reference to Gujarat
4. Indian Economy and Planning
5.Indian Polity and the Constitution of India:
(2) Fundamental Rights and Fundamental Duties
(3) Directive Principles of State Policy
(4) Composition of Parliament
(5) Powers of the President of India
(6) Powers of Governor
(8) Provisions for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and backward classes of the society
(9) Attorney General
(10) NITIA ayog
(11) Panchayati Raj Institutions
(12) Finance Commission (13) Constitutional and Statutory Bodies: Election Commission of India, Union Public Service Commission, State Public Service Commission, Comptroller and Auditor General; Central Vigilance Commission, Lokpal and Lokayukta, Central Information Commission
6. General Mental Ability
7. General Science, Environment and Information & Communication Technology
8. Daily events of Regional, National and International Importance including Sports
Stone, Lime, Glass, Plastics, Steel, FRP, Ceramics, Aluminum, Fly Ash, Basic Admixtures,Timber, Bricks and Aggregates: Classification, properties and selection criteria; Cement:
Types, Composition, Properties, Uses, Specifications and various Tests; Lime & Cement Mortars and Concrete: Properties and various Tests; Design of Concrete Mixes: Proportioning
of aggregates and methods of mix design.
2. Solid Mechanics:
Elastic constants, Stress, plane stress, Strains, plane strain, Mohr’s circle of stress and strain,Elastic theories of failure, Principal Stresses, Bending, Shear and Torsion.
3. Structural Analysis:
Basics of strength of materials, Types of stresses and strains, Bending moments and shear force, concept of bending and shear stresses; Analysis of determinate and indeterminate
structures; Trusses, beams, plane frames; Rolling loads, Influence Lines, Unit load method & other methods; Free and Forced vibrations of single degree and multi degree freedom system; Suspended Cables; Concepts and use of Computer Aided Design.
4. Design of Steel Structures:
Principles of Working Stress methods, Design of tension and compression members, Design of beams and beam column connections, built-up sections, Girders, Industrial roofs, Principles of Ultimate load design.
5. Design of Concrete and Masonry structures:
Limit state design for bending, shear, axial compression and combined forces; Design of beams, Slabs, Lintels, Foundations, Retaining walls, Tanks, Staircases; Principles of prestressed concrete design including materials and methods; Earthquake resistant design of structures; Design of Masonry Structure.
6. Construction Practice, Planning and Management:
Construction – Planning, Equipment, Site investigation and Management including Estimation with latest project management tools and network analysis for different Types of works;
Analysis of Rates of various types of works; Tendering Process and Contract Management, Quality Control, Productivity, Operation Cost; Land acquisition; Labour safety and welfare.
7. Flow of Fluids, Hydraulic Machines and Hydro Power:
(a) Fluid Mechanics, Open Channel Flow, Pipe Flow:Fluid properties; Dimensional Analysis and Modeling; Fluid dynamics including flow kinematics and measurements; Flow net; Viscosity, Boundary layer and control, Drag,Lift, Principles in open channel flow, Flow controls. Hydraulic jump; Surges; Pipe networks.
(b) Hydraulic Machines and Hydro power:
Various pumps, Air vessels, Hydraulic turbines – types, classifications & performance parameters; Power house – classification and layout, storage, pondage, control of
8. Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering:
Hydrological cycle, Ground water hydrology, Well hydrology and related data analysis; Streams and their gauging; River morphology; Flood, drought and their management;
Capacity of Reservoirs. Water Resources Engineering : Multipurpose uses of Water, River basins and their potential;Irrigation systems, water demand assessment; Resources – storages and their yields; Water logging, canal and drainage design, Gravity dams, falls, weirs, Energy dissipaters, barrage Distribution works, Cross drainage works and head-works and their design; Concepts in canal design, construction & maintenance; River training, measurement and analysis of rainfall.
9. Geo-technical Engineering and Foundation Engineering:
(a) Geo-technical Engineering: Soil exploration – planning & methods, Properties of soil, classification, various tests and interrelationships; Permeability & Seepage, Compressibility, consolidation and Shearing resistance, Earth pressure theories and stress distribution in soil; Properties and uses of geo-synthetics.
(b) Foundation Engineering: Types of foundations & selection criteria, bearing capacity, settlement analysis, design and testing of shallow & deep foundations; Slope stability analysis, Earthen embankments, Dams and Earth retaining structures: types, analysis and design, Principles of ground modifications.
10. Surveying and Geology:
Classification of surveys, various methodologies, instruments & analysis of measurement of distances, elevation and directions; Field astronomy, Global Positioning System; Map preparation; Photogrammetry; Remote sensing concepts; Survey Layout for culverts, canals, bridges, road/railway alignment and buildings, Setting out of Curves.
(b) Geology: Basic knowledge of Engineering geology & its application in projects.
11. Bridge Engineering
Fundamentals of Bridge Engineering , Bridge Site Investigations and Planning, Bridge Hydrology, Standards of Loadings for Bridge Design, Different Types of Bridges, Bridge
Superstructure, Bearings and Substructure Design, Design of Bridge Foundations, Bridge Approaches, River Training Work & Protection Work, Methods of Bridge Construction,
Inspection, maintenance & Repair of Bridges, Testing of Bridges, Bridge Architecture.
12. Current Trends and Recent Advancements in the above fields